Wednesday, June 18, 2008

National Closed 2008

From Melaka, I headed to KL for the National Closed event which was held at Kompleks Wilayah from 31st May 2008 to 4th June 2008.

And again this year we will see the new National Master (NM) and National Woman Master (NWM) title holder. Whatever the circumstances, I respect the NM and NWM title holder, becoz they fought hard for the title and they deserved it. These is Malaysian Champion for the year!

For as long as I could remember, I played in few National Closed (1990, 1991, 1992, 1995, 2005, 2007 and 2008). My first National Closed was in 1990 held at IYC, KL. In which that was the first National Closed for women. The champ at that time was IWM Audrey Wong. Unfortunately for her there was no trophy, so, her name wasn;t crafted at the current trophy. I can still remember, the leader at that tournament was Geraldine Johns Putra. She made an upset and won against Audrey Wong. She was so closed into becoming the champion. But in the last round, she need a win so bad, coz if she drew, Audrey might be the champ coz the points are the same. Geraldine vs me in the last round. I think I did ask her for a draw, coz, it was an endgame fight where we only had, one King, a Bishop and 2 pawns (I think). But she made a blunder during time trouble moments, and I won the game. That time, I was the one that stopped the champ. I denied her the title that has been long her wish that time. She cried, but I am happy. Coz with that win, I am qualify to play in the Selection for 1990 Olimpiad. If I could still remember, in the selection Nurul Huda, Geraldine, Eliza Hanum, Ong Hwa Lu and me are playing. I think there are others competing but I can't recalled. 3 players were selected from the selection and one chosen by MCF. Fortunately for me I won the selection and automatically qualify.

Ok ok enough about me.. :-))

Lets welcome to the new NM Edward Lee, and NWM Alia Anin Azwa Bakri. Welcome to the family of NMs and NWMs!

For results kindly visit http://www.gilachess.com/2008/06/04/national-closed-2008-results/
and http://www.gilachess.com/2008/06/11/womens-national-championship-results/

both players only needed a draw in the last round to emerge the champion.

No comments: